Thursday, April 23, 2020

Finding Joy

Storms. We are well acquainted with them down South, and they can be terrifying. Whether you are faced with a physical or metaphysical storm, they are inescapable and unpreventable. However dismal storms may be, how you respond to them is what truly matters.

The illustration shared in this post was drawn when I was in the midst of an internally bitter and dark storm. It was such an awful time that one night, all I could do was sit there and stare at a blank page in one of my sketchpads, not knowing how to voice my hurt and pain to God. All I wanted was to talk to Him and tell Him how much I hurt, but no words escaped my mouth, no thoughts compiled in my head, and my heart seemed devoid of emotion.

I have heard several times in my life the message of Romans 8:26-27 stating this:

26 “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.”

That night, the words the Apostle Paul wrote centuries ago materialized as I believe the Holy Spirit guided my hand and led me to draw “Finding Joy.” I’ve always been able to draw based on what I feel, but that night when I could not seem to feel anything, God showed me where to find the light at the end of the tunnel in such a way that it was almost as if he was saying “It’s going to be ok.”

Throughout the rest of that trying time, I was able to audibly worship and cry out to God. Worship can take many forms like drawing, singing, dancing, writing and anything else that allows you to outpour your adoration. In my case, I worship best by playing the piano, and drawing. I have a hard time finding the words to express what I’d like to say to God and I’m convinced He knew that long before I was born and gave me the gift of the piano to be able to “talk” to Him in a different way.

God is omniscient like that and knows us far better than we know ourselves. Even when times seem impossible and uncertain, God has not abandoned you or me and never will. It is hard to worship when you do not know what to say or do. It is hard to worship when no one around you is worshiping. It is hard to worship when you do not understand what God could possibly be doing in your life.

But God.

But God is all powerful, all knowing, all wise, and all loving. He has provided a direct line of communication with Him when the veil was torn in the temple as we just observed in Good Friday and Easter Sunday. He has provided us with so many different avenues to worship him through like music, spoken word, art, and much more.

Most importantly, when it seems like the last thing you could possibly do is worship in the midst of a storm, God knows the innerworkings of your heart and the Holy Spirit will intercede for you. So, while the rest of the world is in chaos and despair when circumstances beyond our control disrupt our way of life, take a moment and connect with God in a way you know he has provided just for you. Taking just a moment a day to reflect on the goodness of God and worship Him in thankfulness for what is good, and right, and true can make a difference in how you view the world and what is going on in it.

As much love as God has for us, let us return as much of it as we can daily in a personal act of worship.

*This blog was written by Emma Holm. Emma is a sophomore at South Alabama studying Computer Information Systems.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joy of Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

  Christ is full of contraries that surpass all understanding. Contradicting statements tend to confuse the human intellect simply becau...