Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Contentment of the Lord Triumphs Over Fear

Upon hearing the word “contentment,” many of us would immediately envision scenes of picturesque landscapes, accomplishing goals, or doing the things we enjoy with the people we love the most. At first glance, it almost appears as though our contentment stems from a setting, achievement, or situation itself. However, true contentment—synonymous with serenity, fulfillment, and satisfaction—cannot be found within our worldly pursuits.
Now more than ever, the world is faced with widespread uncertainty, anxiety, and fear. COVID-19 seems to have infected every facet of the lives we lived just a few short months ago, threatening not only our physical health, but also the mental and spiritual components of our overall well-being. This virus has taken away many of the things we took for granted or were looking forward to. Graduations, trips, time with our friends, jobs, internships, and much more disappeared almost overnight. When we believe that our serenity, fulfillment, and satisfaction come from such things, only to have them taken away, it can very easily create the illusion that we are left with nothing; we have lost sight of the reality that our contentment should be rooted in God and his divine love for us. The contentment of the Lord triumphs over any and all fears.
I have seen our Heavenly Father moving in this country in awe-inspiring ways these past few weeks, in spite of the fear that continues to try to overshadow His grace. People are home and are getting to spend time with their families. Children are learning about Jesus and are writing Bible verses all over the streets in chalk. Communities are banding together to give back to our essential workers and serve those in need. Most of all, more people are stopping to pray and acknowledge the goodness of their Savior, and either begin building their relationship with Him or deepen it, than ever I have seen in my lifetime. So yes, these days are uncertain, but allow me to say that life has always been uncertain. It took a virus for humanity to fall to their knees in prayer, and for us to be reminded that God is in control. So fret not, for our God is the most essential worker of all; He will never stop working to show us His love.
With this being said, our contentment does not come from circumstances, people, wealth, possessions, victories, grades, or any other earthly thing you can think of. We find our contentment in the Lord our God, in His perfect love, unwavering strength, and unfathomable power. Because of God, we can find his divine contentment no matter what our realities may look like, especially in the midst of a global pandemic. The light of God seems to shine brighter when adversity puts a shroud over our eyes; where there is darkness, God’s light will always prevail. COVID-19 has been our reminder that our contentment had been placed in the wrong hands: our own. Let this be the turning point in everyone’s life when we make the conscious decision to keep our contentment in Christ. 2 Corinthians 12:10 says “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” When I read this verse earlier today, I knew it was right for the topic of contentment. I had been struggling with my own feelings of discontent, grappling with fear, and succumbing to the lies of the enemy. What a powerful statement, to acknowledge that we only become strong when we first admit we are weak, and then allow Christ to work within our hearts.
To close, I would like to include a “serenity prayer” that I found in some of my mom’s old college things earlier this afternoon. I had prayed that God would lead me to the right words to say, and sure enough, I find this little prayer card with a focus on serenity, one of the synonyms of contentment I had mentioned previously; to me, this was a clear sign that it ought to be included.
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time, accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.”

*Trinity Walker, a Freshman at USA majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Joy of Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

  Christ is full of contraries that surpass all understanding. Contradicting statements tend to confuse the human intellect simply becau...