Thursday, October 1, 2020

 

When given the topic “Love God, Love People”, I did a small laugh because that is my home church’s mission statement. I have come to love this phrase and the meaning behind it. However, it took a while for me to understand this concept. At first glance, this phrase may come off pretty literal or it may be a reflection or idea of one of the Ten Commandments: Love your neighbor. But in reality, this phrase, “Love God, Love People” can mean so much more.

It often seems like we may do one of these but not the other. Sometimes, it is easier to love God than it is to love people. There may be situations where it may seem like we are at our peak with our relationship with Christ but still find a hate for people in our everyday lives. In the verse 1 John 4:20, “If anyone says “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.” I understood this verse as if one can say he loves God but does not love a person who he has not met, how is that any different than one who has not seen God.

The phrase can also be seen in a different light. The Bible calls us Christians to be the hands and feet of Jesus on this Earth. We are also called to love one another as Jesus has loved us. In the verse John 13:34, it goes into detail about a new commandment: love one another. Being called a Christian means we need to love how Jesus loved. I know personally in the world we live in now, showing love to people and showing that I care about people, is the most what we can do.

Before the pandemic, helping and loving one another may have looked like a mission trip or a small mission project in the community to show the love of God through small acts. Last summer, I had the opportunity to go to Quito, Ecuador, with my youth group at my home church. At first, I did not have much clue on what we were being called to do. However, after the ten days were up and everyone was saying their good-byes, I stood behind everyone and realize what we had done: we made an impact on people using God’s work of loving people. Never in my life have I had that experience but it’s one I will never forget. One may even say, serving Jesus is about loving people and ways we can serve Jesus is following His Word and His teachings.

With that all being said, I personally want to keep showing and going on with my life with the mentality of “Love God, Love People”. Treating people with respect and love like God has done with us is one of the strongest things we can do in this life.  

 

*This article was written by Morgan Phillips, the Outreach Coordinator for the USA Wesley Foundation.

The Joy of Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness

  Christ is full of contraries that surpass all understanding. Contradicting statements tend to confuse the human intellect simply becau...